Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Passion will get you there!


As I take my last 6 weeks at the Culinary Institute of America, I would like to share with you my success in fulfilling that dream of becoming a pastry chef. Currently I am working at Apple Pie Bakery Cafe which is the coffeeshop of the school. RICH's Products donated this to the school. I am currently working with 5 people for the Bread Team for this month and I am going to be at the FOH or front of the house by last week of this month till November 9. I am in charge of the Laminted Doughs which consists of all the croissants, chocolate croissants, pecan danish, apple danish,banana danish, chocolate pistachio lattice danish and pizza doughs. Today I learned so much from Chef Migoya who was from the French Laundry ( famous restaurant in California), our head pastry chef, that each step in baking is important. Yes, it is true that I have been doing this for a long time but taking each tedious step with caution will show your end products production quality. It was this morning that I got yelled at for not simply cutting the dough just a half inch difference which was suppose to be exactly 4inches . I almost cried but my deep passion for pastry arts came back to me and decided to go on! What chef was trying to point out was that I have invested hours from 3:00 am to 9:00am and just by cutting it half inch difference will ruin all my products. Now I am ready to take all those mistakes and make the best laminated doughs in my own cafe and restaurant by year 2008. I hope you guys are also willing to go out of your way for your passion! Whatever it takes I am ready ! Are you?...

No comments: